Saturday 18 October 2008

Almscliff tours.

Monday I still had sore skin, trashed body and a vast list of work to be getting on with. So when Jim suggested an Almscliff afternoon I leapt at the chance. UTG was the tour guide of choice and the to-do list went thus:
1) Keel
2) Underhand
3) Jess's Roof
So in my usual dedication to warming up I started on the hard sloper traverse on the first block, nice one me. I popped off about halfway along and pulled my shoulder a bit. So thats the warm up done then, when will I learn?
Anyway given the above hit-list obviously the next port of call would be Demon Wall area?!? So everybody got on Dolphin Belly Slap, Demon Wall Roof, Stu's Roof Left Hand and Hot Dog Fromage and there were various successes and failures. I managed DBS, DWR and HDF (easy variant with heel hook). Jim declared everything easy and 7a+, I ignored him. Then had a brief go on Underhand before having to dash off to tend to the family. Nice afternoon out and cheers to UTG for the excellent guide work.
Spent the rest of the week feeling very ill, as did the boy lard. We were both wiped out all week. Anyway yesterday (Friday) was Almscliff II - The Crushening, or at least that was the plan. Turns out I still couldn't do Underhand and the Keel defeated me also. However I think I can do them both, allthough I always say that. Maybe I'll have to start proving it.....
Once again I needed to get home so left a bit frustrated as I felt I could have carried on climbing. Oh well, to be honest I was still feeling crap and had really crampy guts all day so walking away and leaving it for next time was probably no bad thing.
No climbing this weekend by the looks of things, unless I bag a quick session on the wall. Bob the builder has just won the contract to develop Sunflower Valley, happy days.

No comments: