Saturday 25 April 2009

First Cream Tea of the Season.

The grit season is over, temps have risen and the lime has been called. With the car thermometer showing high-teens temperatures I though I'd celebrate not touching grit until the cooling grasp of Autumn blesses this land by trundling off to...


Almscliff!!
Hey-ho. I only had one thing I wanted to do there and it isn't especially conditionsey so thought I 'd give it a whirl. Spud wanted to head either there or Widdop and Lard was keen to climb anywhere. I didn't fancy Widdop so we loaded up the beast and made tracks (once I'd jump started the flat battery..). Anyway the Cliff was warm, but there was a reasonable cooling breeze so not horrendous. Spud had a go and Lard dug a hole. Then they had some lunch and I went to attack my nemesis. I started with working all the moves, they all went down first time with the exception of the slap to the lip. But a couple of goes working it and this was in the bag, as it's the crux for me I wasn't surprised that it took a couple of goes to get the timing right. Then I had a bit of a rest and went for the link. The start is pretty easy, but steep so a bit draining on the arms. It went smoothly, very smoothly, I was feeling nice and light when I got to the crux slap. Fling for the slap, boosh hit it. Then a tricky foot movement to get a toe lock with my right which is a bit blind. Then a short sequence of moves that need the foot to stick and uber body tension to leave me holding a hold under the roof with my right and a chipped hold with my left. Feet off and lock-off the left arm and bring the right out to match. Feeling tired I somewhat unconfidently slapped for the high pocket which signals the end of the hard climbing Leaving just the awkward top-out. I hit the edge of the pocket, a quick udge and it's in. I fluff about on the top-out for ages, what a goose. All in all probably fifteen minutes at the problem (plus several previous sessions working the sequence).

And the problem? Keelhaul, happy days.

It would seem there may well be a bit of life left in this blog after all...

I celebrated with a cream tea, very nice it was too, roll on summer.

4 comments:

GCW said...

So is there a video of this ascent.......?

Anonymous said...

Good effort.

Nothing like a trip to Font to hone the cake-eating skills.

(Well done on Keelhaul too)

Did you see this:

http://vimeo.com/4324776?pg=embed&sec=

Looks familiar. If that was in a dingy quarry with an upturned tree stump for a landing it would be an instant classic.

uptown said...

You've just inspired me to start climbing again... well done.
Proof that the cliff is for all seasons.

Keeg said...

Cheers Tom.

A couple of weeks of French pastries has just warmed me up nicely for the cream tea season.

I saw that video, looks like a good problem but as you point out the surroundings lack a certain grubbiness....

Uptown giving up climbing? Or just a temporary break whilst adjusting to home life changes?