Friday 28 August 2009

Cringlebarrow

Another visit to Cringlebarrow on Tuesday. The weather was awful as I drove past Blackburn, but then it always is. Is Blackburn the wetest most depressing place in the world? However the rain was still beating down at Preston, but I kept the faith, fortune favours the hopelessly optimistic. Still raining at Lancaster, hmmm this really isn't looking good. Oh well too far gone to turn back now. As I came off the motorway there were one or two dry-ish looking spots on the road, maybe the gamble had paid off? However as I parked up and trudged up the footpath the ground was very wet, optimism was replaced with resignation to the fact that I had nothing better to do than walk up to a wet piece of rock, then walk back.
However upon arrival things didn't look that bad. The start of Curtain Call (the problem I wanted to do) was soaked but everything further right was pretty dry. So first off I worked on linking the end of Curtain Call into White Venom which is possible but quite hard and will be desperate after having done Curtain Call. The I ground upped White Venom (a three bolt sport route) which is a nice highball. Apart from the soaking wet pulling on dead tree roots top-out, yikes! So the link up of Curtain Call into White Venom is definitely on, I'm not sure if it's been done before (Greg?) but his Godskins probably did it as a training exercise at some point, then he probably did it there and back. Anyway Curtain Call is given font 8A, I think the link from Curtain Call into White Venom is probably font 7C-ish and then White Venom is Fr7b+. So in combination that would give? I dunno, a Font 8A+/B?? Or maybe a route grade would be more appropriate, but I have even less idea about them, 8b+?? Anyway I'm SYKED to try this link.
The I did Ichabod Spooklemous (sharp and painful), Discohesion SDS (soft but desperate top-out due to extreme wetness) and Revenant (hard). All good. So just a few of the routes to do here and then that will only leave the hard stuff to tick. Nice little venue, I likes it.

Cheery-bye.

1 comment:

Stallion said...

Your numbers are getting bigger and bigger. I like it.