Sunday 30 August 2009

Rise of the Crooks

Yesterday I ventured up to Crookrise with G-unit and Bammers. The weather was looking less than fantastic but the alternative was spending the day with the mother-in-law so I just asked myself "what would Les Dawson do?". Up the hill we went. I was keen to look at Jasons Roof and G was after Barry Kingsize and The Fly.
We got there and I had a blast on The Fly but discovered that the higher pocket was wet which pretty much stopped progress dead. On to Barry Kingsize, getting to the top move seemed easy but the final move to the top felt like a long way and weirdly committing. The landing is pretty good with a mat or two but there is an awkward block just back from the landing zone, you'd never hit it coming off but even so it weighs on the mind (or it weighed on my mind). Anyway several goes later and I latched the top and got stuck into the sitter. The moves on the sitter went in a few goes but the top move still felt hard. G was struggling with the top move also. It may well have been a bit damp which probably didn't help, there were short showers every couple of minutes and even though the wind was drying things quickly I guess moisture would still be present. Anyway enough excuses.

Then there was a bit of a better spell so rather than carry on with Barry Kingsize Sitter (which was rapidly eating my hands) we moved on to The Fly. Now a few years ago this would have been my thing but this visit led toa realisation. I have been entirely focussed on steep stuff of late, which has been brilliant but...
Slab technique has definitely suffered, previously I would have done this by just standing up on my feet but today I was trying to pull myself up. It didn't work, I think with a bit more time and dry, crisp conditions it would go down but it was interesting to have such a clear demonstration of how my slab technique has waned. I'm not surprised by this, or even especially upset by it, after all I'm sure with a bit of training it would come back pretty quickly. However it has been a practical confirmation of one of my theoretical musings.
Both me a G got to similar points on the Fly, neither of which were the top, onwards.

Then tried the groove left of The Fly, I don't think I'll say any more than that about this.

We trudged off to find a problem called Karjala which had been recommended to us. Managed to flash this, G seemed to have lost all SYKE at this point and despite my encouragement didn't really get his balls out for a proper go. I'd hope he'd go back and crush when the SYKE returns.

Whilst doing Karjala the weather took a serious turn for the worse, it looked set for solid rain and feeling tired we considered heading back to the car but after walking up the hill it was felt that the day should be fully milked. So we head down through the trees to Jasons Roof. I had a play on the moves as the heavens opened. I think I got most of the moves and a semi-workable sequence. It seems pretty hard to me but I think it might favour a slightly taller fellow. Keen to get back to this though as it is a quality line, it would have to be to get me back up that hill.

Finally we dropped in to Eastby to look at a Purchon dyno that G wanted to check out. It was huge, 230cm, with a poor sloper to catch at the top. We had a couple of throws each in the rain but didn't get terribly near, very timing specific I think. Looks mega though, I think it will be to far for me but I'd throw myself at it again.

No comments: